The Gwalia mine is located three kilometres south of the town of Leonora, Western Australia.
The operation continues the development of an ore body that has already produced four million ounces from open cut and underground operations.
The mine was originally established in 1897 by Herbert Hoover, who later became the 31st President of the United States.
The Gwalia mine is the cornerstone of Leonora operations with 2.1 million ounces of gold in reserves at a grade of 6.4 grams per tonne. After two years of redevelopment, the first gold pour from the current operations occurred in October 2008 and a year later, the first 100,000 ounce milestone was reached.
The main decline, called the Hoover Decline, has been extended to 1,600m below surface in 2016 to allow production from a range of ore sources. To date, the geotechnical environment has been well within design parameters.
The processing plant is a conventional CIP circuit and has a nominal capacity of 1.2 million tonnes per year of hard rock and up to 1.4 million tonnes per year, when softer material is blended. Other surface infrastructure includes a gas-fired power station, a paste fill plant, and a refrigeration plant to cool the underground environment. Central to the mine ventilation system is a 5.5 metre ventilation shaft, which at 800 metres long is the largest raise bored shaft ever drilled in Australia.
The accommodation village was significantly upgraded and expanded in 2008, incorporating a number of energy efficient and environmentally friendly initiatives. The Camp received a certificate of merit in the 2009 Golden Gecko Awards for environmental excellence.
Gwalia has strong margins supported by good grades and a focus on costs and returns.
For full details of Gwalia’s Ore Reserves and Mineral Resources, refer to the compliance documents at https://stbarbara.com.au/exploration/