St Barbara has an important responsibility for the natural environment within which it operates.
Key aspects of the Company’s environmental management programme include:
- Ongoing, progressive rehabilitation of previously mined areas;
- Focus on water and energy efficiencies and sustainability;
- Proactive reporting and managing of environmental hazards and incidents;
- Environmental training and awareness;
- Ensuring compliance with statutory guidelines;
- Community and stakeholder consultation;
There has been a continued focus on improving the environmental management and performance of St Barbara. In particular, rehabilitation activities at historic mining areas continue, waste management practices were improved and the permitting for new mining infrastructure was successfully completed.
A Strategic Environmental Improvement Plan has been developed to address key challenges and opportunities facing the Company, as well as action plans to manage these issues.
Each year St Barbara submits its Annual Environmental Report to the Department of Mines and Petroleum and to the Department of Environment Regulation. The reports detail comprehensively our environmental activities at our Leonora Operations. Since the 2013/14 report, environmental reports are lodged online with both the Department of Environment Regulation and the Department of Mines and Petroleum.
These reports are available for public view here.